Thursday, June 26, 2008
In an effort to step backward with things (which actually for us is a step forward! :) ), and given the volatility of refined fuels, we decided to look into getting a wood burning stove. Hopefully this would be able to be used for heat as well as a place on which to cook.
In the local ad paper we were able to find a pretty big stove, which also had a smoker. I thought this would be a pretty good deal, and so we purchased it; and with the help of the men, we were able to get it moved.
We don't have a house in which to put it, and so we decided to go ahead and install it in the barn. Hopefully that would allow for warmer fellowship days during the winter; and if needed, we could even sleep next to it.
Here is a picture of it installed. We haven't really tried it, other than just a test to see if it would at least work, because, by the time I got it installed, winter was waning. However, I figure it will probably get more use this coming winter:
A quiet, tender moment...
One thing to remember is, when adding stove pipe to a roof, use lots of caulking. I thought I used quite a bit, and we're still getting a leak during heavy rains (at least, I believe it is due to the stove pipe installation).
Here is the wood pile, ready to go! These I did with a chainsaw, although I now have a double-headed axe ready for felling the old fashion way:
We are grateful once again for the Lord's provisions and resources, with this stove, and with the many trees on the land that are available to be used to keep us warm and to cook.