Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Summer Kitchen

The original plan for the root cellar was to have a concrete slab on top, which would allow for the constructing of a building on top of it, thus creating a rather large insulation space to help keep the root cellar cool (plain air space is apparently a good insulator). We decided (at least at this point) to make this building a summer kitchen, allowing Sue and any of the women in the community who might want to use it, to cook and can the Lord's provisions in a hopefully ventilated and cooler environment and to not heat up their own houses. And so, the design was to have the north half be the kitchen; the south west quarter be a pantry for the kitchen; and because I would like to have a place to take up the piano again, I thought I'd make the south east corner a piano room.

This is personally my first real building project. While this is still a work in progress, here is a little tour of where it is today and the process by which we got there.

Building the walls:






Time for a "barn" raising. The Lord has granted us the fellowship of like-minded brethren (see here, here, and here) to help and show their love for other brethren:








A quick point of note: when securing a wall to its perpendicular wall at a corner, and in anticipation of internal walls, you not only have the corner stud, but you need another stud to be placed stud width plus 3/4". This will allow for the tacking up of internal walls. I did that for the corners of the building; however, I forgot about the middle dividing wall. And so, Lord willing if I do put internal walls in, I will need to add a 2x4 wall stud to support the internal walls:




Here is a backside view with the first wall braced:




And more "barn" raising:









"I think the meaning of life is that way."
"Yes, I see it!"
"I think the meaning of life is over here, and I'm now contemplating it."
"Yes, I see it!"
"Isn't it meal time?"




Welcome to the frame of our summer kitchen building:




To secure the building down, we anchored it with heavy-duty 4-5" concrete bolts:




Here is the structure with the roof put on. We used 24' long, 2x8 rafters for the roof, and then covered it with Solar Board to help with insulation. Notice here above each window frame now has a "header." This was suggested to me by our neighbor Logan, who has had more experience building. This is to keep the pressure from the rafters causing a sag in the window frames on the windows. Thanks to Logan:




The metal anchors are called "hurricane clips", and they apparently help tremendously with high winds:




We covered the roof with tar paper and then began installing the corrugated roof metal:




I continued with Solar Board for the siding, and this is how far I have worked on it:





The Lord is gracious and merciful.

-- David

Friday, September 5, 2008

Garden 2008 II

The Lord has graciously afforded opportunity for a Fall garden this year with the extra rain and catch-water systems He granted. And so, we planted about 10 or more days ago, and here is where things are now. Any of the plants that are sort of well-grown looking are Spring plantings that made it through the drought:




The lettuce on the left actually has re-sprouted from the Spring planting. Hopefully it and the other lettuce I planted will beat first freeze:




We are hopeful as we should have the water resources for it now. And so we pray the Lord grant provisions from this round of planting, according to His will.

-- David