Since flashing is galvanized, which again helps against rust, I figured that would be a good material to use. I purchased 20" flashing, and cut it into squares:
Since they had to fit over a 5/8" bolt sticking out of the concrete pier, I drilled two 3/8" holes next to each other in the center of the flashing squares; and I was able to drill three squares at a time easily:
Since the two drilled holes were next to each other, and given the size of the pier's bolt, I had to cut out the center hole a bit:
Here is the flashing pushed onto the pier. I usually had to work it down onto the bolt. Before putting it on, I sprinkled on some Seven termite powder because I heard that was a good thing to do, but my guess is the weather has removed most of it by now:
After placing the beam bracket on the shield over the bolt and finger tightening the nut down to hold the flashing in place, I folded the sides down to crease the flashing, and began to form it into its final shape. I originally tightened the bolt down all the way on quite a few of them, but realized that bent the brackets in the middle, which wouldn't have allowed the beam to sit flat on them:
On opposite sides of the pier, and starting several inches in from the side edge of the flashing, I cut the folded flashing from the lower edge to a point where two perpendicular creases met in a line, creating a square out of two flashing edges and a cut edge; and I did this for all four corners:
Then I positioned myself on one side where I had made the cuts, reached around the other side of the pier, and tucked in underneath the opposite side of the flashing the cut edges in each of my hands:
And then I folded the other sides on top of the tucked-in cut sides:
I didn't want to leave the sides of the termite shield loose like that, so I decided to use rivets to fasten the corners in place. They are aluminum (again, to help against rust problems), and I chose 3/16" short fastener rivets. I took a 2x4 and put it behind a folded corner to support the pressure of drilling; and using one hand, I closed the corner tightly around the 2x4. I then drilled a 3/16" hole through the flashing in the corner of the overlapped flashing, and another hole in the corner of the folded-under flashing:
I then set the rivet in place...
...and squeezed the rivet tool several times until the stem of the rivet cut off:
And here is the completed rivet:
This is the completed termite shield:
And here are all of the piers with all of their termite shields in place. No mind control for these concrete piers! :)
We're thankful to the Lord for His provisions, and for the idea and ability to put these together.